This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Word of Encouragement...to Me

I do not always like to write about me or my life or my past, but that is all I know anything about really, unless you would like me to write about you....  No, I thought not.
Life can just be overwhelming at times, can't it?  Lately I have been very tired.  It isn't that I exert so much energy into any direction in particular, but it goes in many directions these days...   And when my time is divided up into pieces, nothing gets done in the way I would like it to be done.
I am writing this after an evening at church.  During Tommy's bible study I almost fell asleep...on the front row.  Nice.  All of my energy just leaked right out of my toes onto the floor, leaving my body when I sat down.  Tommy is an excellent teacher/preacher, but tonight he could have been talking about snowballs and it would not have fazed me.  (Wouldn't that have been funny, though?  If he ever does talk about snowballs in church, I will let you know.) Lately my body moves in slow motion if it moves at all.  My blood feels like molasses.
Anyway, afterwards was play practice.  Yes, we are still working on the Christmas Play and no, we do not have it nailed down yet. One of the elders in our church is Andy.  Andy asked me how I was and I said that I was tired and had no energy left in me, but that God was good to give me what I need.  He responded, "I have a verse for you," and then he grabbed my bible and opened it to Colossians 1:29 - "For this I toil, struggling with all His energy that He powerfully works within me."  I thanked him and told him I had never noticed that verse before.  The "this" Paul is writing about is that Paul might present everyone mature in Christ.  He is toiling for the work Christ has called him to.  You and I should be working in that way as well...with His energy working through us.
Then I sat beside Stephen, age 6, who faces some challenges every day, and we held our music together and I sang while he listened....without criticism...and I thought to myself, there is no where else I would rather be than right here with these children, singing about the birth of Christ.
I was encouraged when I least expected it and had I stayed home as I was tempted to, I would have missed it....this timely verse given to me by a fellow believer.  There is power in God's word.  There is love in God's people.  Yes, I am still tired, but not weary, knowing He will work through me to accomplish His will.  I did not come home with energy, I came home with hope...and that is much better.  Hope does not disappoint.
Blessings to you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment