This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Saturday, October 20, 2012

October 31st, the "H" Word







It poses a problem, this last day of October, for many Christians in the world.  Some would argue that point, but I have heard this holiday discussed over and over again...with varying outcomes and opinions.  Okay, don't tell anybody, but when my kids were little, we had spook houses in our garage each year and my brothers would dress up in costumes they called "train wreck" or "car crash". (These are grown men, mind you) You can imagine how they looked...neither a pretty sight. While we were operating the haunted house in the garage, our home was filled with family and friends just enjoying being together.
I was always the tour guide.  I have to say we really did love it then, but scaring children on purpose for any amount of time is just wrong...and wrong tends to lead to more wrong.  
Things changed.  Children were being hurt on Halloween.  The evil in man became bolder each year and the focus turned to the dark, dark side.  It made us want to quit any kind of acknowledgement of that day.  The "H" word became taboo.  I would turn my porch light off and put a sign on my door, "No trick or treating, please."  For a time, even our city banned going door to door.
As my kids entered their teenage years, we opened our home to their friends for a safe place to hang out on that night.  They watched movies, ate, played ping pong, and just had fun. If children came to the door, the teenagers handed out pencils or candy.
I have decided that now, when children come to my house on October 31st, if I am home, I will give them candy.  They just want candy.  It does not mean that I want anything to do with evil, but that I want to have a relationship with those that the Lord brings my way.  A dark house with an unfriendly sign will tell no one to come to Christ.  A well-lit safe house where treats are handed out with a smile and a kind word just might be remembered.  I want to be approachable.
Romans 12:21 "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."
God made October 31st and He made pumpkins.  Man takes good and twists it into bad.  Evil is going to be evil any given day of the year.  I refuse to peg a day and forever call it "forbidden".  Changing the focus from fear to love makes a difference.  Here are some suggestions...just in case...
1. Hand out water to the parents and meet them.
2. Give pencils, little books, or small party favors - as to prevent sugar overload and comas.
3. Sit outside, instead of waiting for people to come to your door.
4. Have music playing...no, not creepy sounds.
Okay, you get the idea.  You will not be promoting anything but kindness and a chance to share the love of God.
So, let's put October 31st back on the calendar. It's always been there you know.  God made that day.  How will you treat it? Will you look for ways to share Christ in every situation He allows?
It's just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment