This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Job

 I have been reading Job lately.  Each time I read it, I see new truths. That's the amazing thing about God's word.  It is alive...always revealing inner man to outward man.  Only the Creator knows our hearts...the secret places that stay hidden from view...just not His view.  In the first chapter of Job, we learn how much he owned, that he was righteous, and that he was the greatest man in the east.  (I always thought he was just a farmer with many blessings.  That is putting it mildly.) The greatest man in the east.  Huge.
 So, God tells us right away that Job had it all...and he loved God to boot.  Enter Satan.  He goes before the LORD and the LORD asks him where he has been and he basically says he's been wandering the earth.  God asks him if he has considered Job - now isn't THAT like painting a big target on Job's back!?  He grants Satan permission to torment, and havoc ensues.  The verse - "to whom much was given, of him much will be required"  (Luke 12:48 - Even though this reference is in the New Testament, the principle applies to all) and the verse - "the Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." (Job 1:21) come to mind here.
 Job's friends are sympathetic at first.  They sit with him and are quiet for days, and then as if they are ready to be done with this, they begin to question Job.  Though what they say does not seem so 'out of order' in the beginning, it becomes as nails on a chalkboard after a while.  They are no longer of any comfort to him. Their words only pierce and accuse...without real answers, but with alot of suppositions.  Have I ever been that kind of friend? I fear so. God forgive me.  You forgive me too, please.
 Can you imagine?  The greatest man in the east, brought low in public humiliation.  Yes, every one of us would have an opinion as to the cause.  Remember, God has seen it all happen...allowed it all to happen.  So, it isn't a "curse", but more of a test.  How quick we are to judge things we do not understand.  Surely Job's pride - if he had any - is brought to nothing.  Still he does not reject his LORD. Job 13:15 "Though He slay me, I will hope in Him..."  (May my faith be so strong!)
 Job 23:8-14  8 "Behold, I go forward, but he is not there, and backward, but I do not perceive him;  9 on the left hand when he is working, I do not behold him; he turns to the right hand, but I do not see him.  10 But he knows the way that I take; when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold.  11 My foot has held fast to his steps; I have kept his way and have not turned aside.  12 I have not departed from the commandment of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my portion of food.  13 But he is unchangeable, and who can turn him back? What he desires, that he does.  14 For he will complete what he appoints for me, and many such things are in his mind. 
 See Job's declaration of God's sovereignty!  He yields all to Him in acknowledgement of His power to do as He pleases. It is always for our good if we love Him!  So be of good cheer and do not faint!
 Job responds to each accuser more than once.
 Job 21:3 - "Bear with me, and I will speak, and after I have spoken, mock on."  I cannot help but smile at this verse.  Can't you just see him?  As if he already knows that nothing he says is going to stop his friends from rebuking him.  "Mock on" just sounds so sarcastically funny to me.
 But wait, the best of Job is yet to come.
 Back and forth, back and forth Job debates them. So far, God has been silent.  Not absent, just silent. He is watching all of this...kind of like when your friends are talking about you and for you and they ignore the fact that you are standing right there. Finally we come to Chapters 38 - 41.  God speaks...BIG.  You MUST read those chapters.  Anyone who has ever asked God, "WHY?" needs to read those chapters.  I will not write the whole passage here, but only a few samples.

 Job 38:4-11  4 "Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding.  5 Who determined its measurements- surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? 6 On what were its bases sunk, or who laid its cornerstone,  7 when the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy?  8 "Or who shut in the sea with doors when it burst out from the womb,  9 when I made clouds its garment and thick darkness its swaddling band,  10 and prescribed limits for it and set bars and doors,  11 and said, 'Thus far shall you come, and no farther, and here shall your proud waves be stayed'? 
Job 39:26-29  26 "Is it by your understanding that the hawk soars and spreads his wings toward the south?  27 Is it at your command that the eagle mounts up and makes his nest on high?  28 On the rock he dwells and makes his home, on the rocky crag and stronghold.  29 From there he spies out the prey; his eyes behold it afar off. 

 Job feebly speaks.  Job 40:4-5  4 "Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer you? I lay my hand on my mouth.  5 I have spoken once, and I will not answer; twice, but I will proceed no further." There are times when we should just "Be still and know that He is God."  This is one of those times. I am going to practice putting my hand over my mouth more.

 Job 41:10-11  Who then is he who can stand before me?  11 Who has first given to me, that I should repay him? Whatever is under the whole heaven is mine.

 And in Chapter 42, Job humbly answers and repents.  Verses 1 - 6.  Then Job answered the LORD and said:  2 "I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.  3 'Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?' Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.  4 'Hear, and I will speak; I will question you, and you make it known to me.'  5 I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you;  6 therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes." 

 God then addresses his friends and restores Job's fortunes...double what he had before.
 I know this is a long post...but Job is worth reading.  There are so many lessons and if you look closely, you will find yourself on every page.  Read Job.  Some argue about its time of origin.  Some say it is the oldest book written and some say it was written right after Genesis and some say after David was King of Israel.  I personally, have no idea...I'm just glad it is there for me to read.  (Sorry, I did not have a picture of Job to add to this post:)
Key verse..Job 28:28 "And he said to man, 'Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom, and to turn away from evil is understanding.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment