This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Friday, November 2, 2012

Whodunnits

I have always loved them....from Perry Mason to Agatha Christie to Columbo and beyond.  I read so many when I was younger - it was like an addiction, so I have since practiced self control.  The library offered me  many choices. In the early eighties, the oil companies went on strike for a 3 month period.  That is when it began...this love of mystery books.  Tommy was out of work and at home.  (This can be a trying time in a young mom's busy life...  husband home, bored, and underfoot.) During those months and since, I think I have read every Agatha Christie book there is.
My kids often called me Miss Marple or Sherlock Holmes when I found a lost treasure or used my spy techniques on them. (I do not think it was always appreciated.)  Tommy is always thankful when I use my powers of deduction to locate his keys, papers, books, etc.
When we were little, I would leave clues around the house for my brothers to find, leading them to a final destination with the only prize being a sense of satisfaction at having completed the game.  They loved it and I did too.  Homemade games are the best, aren't they?
We watch alot of BBC mysteries, though I must say, they do not have the same standards as we do...weak as ours are.  We have a guardian on our DVD player, allowing us to watch without hearing the distasteful words.
Still, is it wholesome to watch people being murdered?  Probably not.  I heard R.C.Sproul say once that he, too loved mysteries.  For some reason that made me feel alittle better.  You can have the ghoulish, the bloody, the warped....just give me a good old fashioned whodunnit...and I will solve it every time.  Really, I will.
P.S.  The only Christie book I never figured out was "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd."  Don't see the movie, it is a disappointment...but the book is the best.  If you have the time.....

2 comments:

  1. I'm commenting on your blog! :) Have you seen the BBC Sherlock series that's set in modern times? We just finished season 2 and LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we like it, though he is a far cry from the old Basil Rathbone ones. I like that it is modern day.

      Delete