This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Do The Next Thing

Some days are just hard.  It's when I think I am responsible for everything and if I don't do it, it won't get done...and I don't want to do it.  It's staring into space and not really seeing.  It's brain overload...and brain empty all at once.  It is checking out of life without really checking out for good.  I know you know what I mean.
The holidays will do that to you.  Checklists, and checklists on the checklists.  (That would only make sense if you are with me in spirit on this.)  Menus to make so you can purchase the needed groceries without wasting money....therefore recipes to look for - (I actually love this, but not when I feel pressed), calendars to update with dates to remember, ideas for the elderly, cards to send, lessons to teach, a dentist appointment for a wisdom tooth to be pulled - hoping it won't rob me of what little wisdom I have left, - babysitting (fun), plus everyday chores, etc, etc, etc. That was a really long sentence with poor structure. Sorry.
When I am feeling this way, I either sit and stare into oblivion which accomplishes nothing, or I do menial tasks that amount to nothing, OR I do the next thing in front of me.  It's this methodical, consistent, 'staying at it til it's done' that helps me most....knocking off each block, one at a time, until the monster is dead.  What a ridiculous analogy, but it works for me.  I think it is called slaying dragons.  My dragon's life is in danger. I have just decided.
When you don't feel like doing anything at all, but "all" is demanding to be done...just do the next thing.  You will be encouraged then to take on something else, and so on. Pretty soon, you become the conqueror/conqueress. (Surely you give yourself pep talks like this.)
This blog can be calling to me from wherever I am.  I am constantly writing myself notes, copying phrases, and wondering what in the world I will write next.  I find stability and comfort in writing.  Yes, I could be in there sitting in the middle of papers and books galore, but I already did that today and it did nothing for me.  So I decided to come and tell you about it. (I am now laughing at myself.)  You can laugh at me, too...and then go do your next thing.  
Oh, yes, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
My place in this world.
2 Thessalonians 3:16 Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in every way. The Lord be with you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment