This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Getting In and Out of Prison

Today I got my car out of the shop.  "Why was your car in the shop?" you ask.  A perfectly normal question with a complicated, but humorous answer.
On Sunday, a friend and I went to visit someone in the state jail...a step down from the state prison, but no walk in the park or anything to sneeze at, or...well,you get the picture.  A jail is a jail is a jail.  Anyway, I had been meaning to go for awhile now.  So Sunday after church, I called my friend and we decided to make a visit to see_______.
I had been told of the ordeal one must go through in order to get in. The guards stop your car at the entrance.  They search your car. You must get out and open all doors. You must pop the hood.  ( I guess some people try and smuggle things in.)
I informed them right away that I had never popped the hood in my van.  My friend knew what to do and so I popped the hood.  They looked at the engine as if it had a message on it.  One guard found an oil bottle lid. (Tommy had just had the oil changed the day before and the guys must have left it there.)  Then I was told that my battery cable needed cleaning.  I said that I do not do engines at all.
When they decided there was no contraband to be found, they tried to close the hood.  It would not close.  Really?  Two grown men could not close the hood...and two women were standing there (me and my friend)  with no idea of what to do.  After many tries, the hood was shut and we proceeded to the jail.
Upon entering, it is much like an airport.  Shoes off, pockets empty, jewelry off, possessions in a box and put though the ex ray thingy and then you must go through a scanner as well.  They wand you and make you raise up your feet so they can see the bottoms.  Why? I did not ask.  Anyway we were cleared for take off. We checked in and they called the prisoner and we met in a room full of tables. Families on one side and prisoners on the other.  Rows and rows of them.
As I watched their faces, I could not help but think of how hard it must be to visit this way.  That for some of these men, this was their only contact with family and it happens once on a weekend. We had a very nice visit with our person and even though we could hug and hold hands, they had certain rules.  Against the wall was a line of vending machines.  My friend and I could go and buy drinks and treats, but the prisoner could not approach the machines at all. So we fed our guy and talked of future plans and the outside world. We talked of the inside world as well.  He looked good..cleaned up and healthy.  A good sign.
It was not long before it was time to leave.  I watched as prisoner men hugged and kissed wives/girlfriends, and kids.  The visitors would turn to grab their keys and the men would not let go of them.  It is how we are, isn't it?  Outsiders have another day to deal with and a list of things to do to keep the world turning...and the prisoner is so reluctant to let the ray of sunshine leave the room, as he must return to the choices he has made for himself.  Sins and crimes affect everyone...the lonely ones leaving the lonely ones staying.
We said our goodbyes with hugs and tears and smiles as well. Whew.  I did it.  This was huge for me, but really, once I got passed the hullaballoo, it was just sweet sadness.  Sweet sadness in all of those faces.  Love and hope and sadness.
As we approached the gate to leave, we once again had to exit the car and repeat the process...only this time when they asked me to pop the hood, the handle fell off into my hand.  I just stood there looking at them with this knob.  I said, "I can't unlock the hood.  The handle broke."  (Now, really, couldn't we just leave? But, no.) Perhaps they were convinced I had a prisoner hidden in the engine. If there had been a man in there, I would have had him clean off the battery cable.
One guard got into the van and looked at the knob.  Somehow he got the hood opened and they once again looked at the engine as if it intrigued them and then slammed the hood down.  It was an hour before I got home and told Tommy of my adventure.  He never gets mad at anything hair-brained that I do....but I forgot to tell him I was going to jail.  My bad.  (He was in an elders' meeting at church, so I didn't want to disturb him.  Wasn't that thoughtful of me?)  So he went to investigate the damage and sure enough the hood would no longer open.  I got my car back today.  My first visit to jail was an eventful one, but I do intend to go again.  The Lord tells us to go.  I figure I better start doing what He says.
Matthew 25:35-40   For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,   I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.'   Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?   And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?   And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?'   And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment