This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Light of the Stable

Okay, we all know by now that I like bluegrass music...(see Bluegrass post, if in doubt) Recently, I was in WalMart, just minding my own business, when I passed a bin of five dollar Christmas CDs. Five dollars!  I decided to take a peek.  Big name artists, old and new.  Bing Crosby, Selah, Perry Como, Elvis, etc...but a certain one caught my eye. Emmylou Harris - Light of the Stable.  I do not own any of her music, but I know she is highly esteemed in the bluegrass world, so I thought I would try it. W O N D E R F U L. The songs are lovely and the arrangements are unique.
There are many other well known artists on the CD, but their voices are all in the background.  The inside cover gives some interesting info.  This CD is one of the best kept secrets...so it says.  They keep putting it out with different designed covers from time to time.
If you have the slightest affinity for bluegrass, you will love this.  It does have only a bit of a country sound - and I am not a country fan - but the harmony and the words are so perfect that I can overlook that...plus...it's Christmas!!!
My personal favorites:
Cherry Tree Carol - for its minor keys and arrangement and sweet words
Beautiful Star of Bethlehem
Light of the Stable 

No comments:

Post a Comment