This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Monday, September 10, 2012

Changed By the Weather

How often do we let the temperature outside dictate our temperature inside (of us)?  Summertime in Houston is a KILLER.  Why can't we move this city a little further north - say, Missouri or Kansas? Why do we have to be so close to that equator?  I have another question about that equator - why are the countries below it beginning Spring right now?  I will never understand that....nope, never. 
Back to my original thought....weather often changes our moods.  Do not deny it...I have witnessed it and experienced it myself.  Today was a cool(er) day where I live.  I say cool, meaning it is about 80 degrees outside right now...a real heat buster.
Low humidity makes all the difference in the world.  People smile more.  They talk about the weather, not as small talk, but because they want to.  Strange, because we are the same people, doing the same things we always do, but our steps are lighter and our moods brighter.  Face it.  A cool breeze after a sauna summer is heaven and a tie that binds....common ground for those that have survived August in the South.  I happen to know that those north of us appreciate Spring just as much, after the bitter cold that keeps them inside for months.  Just ask Jana and Matt.
I can't tell you how many emails and comments I have gotten about this drop in temps...even before it happened.  People that know I love Autumn, approach me with glee...and I get a "leafy" card from my friend Kim Carmichael every single year.  So happy some things do not change.  (There are worse things I could be known for, you know.)
The truth is, there is no Mother Nature.  It is God's design to have seasons. This is one of His best ideas.  Fall is like Christmas Eve every day - anticipation and delight until the last red leaf has sadly fallen to the ground.  But take heart...it returns in a year's time, to once again stir the imagination of good things to come.  All this expounding from one little cool front.  Get ready to enjoy Autumn!

No comments:

Post a Comment