This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Monday, December 1, 2014

My Flesh Fights My Soul

1 Peter 2:11   Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul. 

So, my flesh is fighting my soul every time I give in to passions that steal time, waste money, give way to gluttony, are envious, jealous, angry, unforgiving, and self-gratifying?  Wow. I think my flesh is winning, because this is just a tip of the iceberg where my self indulgence is concerned.
Sojourner: a temporary resident - to live in a place for a limited time before moving on.
That's the life of the Christian - moving on and well...I guess the nonbeliever is moving on, too.. isn't he? Hmm.  If my time here is limited, why entangle myself with passions that war with my soul?
If my flesh is fighting my soul every day, how often am I aiding the enemy?  Whose side am I on, anyway? My flesh fights my flesh (for example) when my overeating leads to added weight. Whereas my flesh fighting my soul is not so obvious.  It is easily hidden until the day when sin leaks out of my mouth or shows up in my actions. Gossip, slander, a critical spirit, selfishness, jealousy. Just naming a few.  (That list flew out of my head much too easily.  Gotta work on that.)
How is your money spent?
And your time?
What do your think about the most?
What brings you the biggest pleasure?
Who brings you the greatest pleasure?  Children?  Spouse?  You?  God?  Be honest.
These are just a few questions to steer your thinking.  Examine yourself.
To abstain - to refrain oneself from doing or enjoying something.  (The example given was "abstain from chocolate.")  I am not a chocolate lover, but I get the message.
God wants us to enjoy many things.  His gifts are endless and they are free.  Sunsets, rain, sun, friendships, smiles, encouraging words, His words, peace, love, joy...and even the trials He sends our way are gifts for our good.  Just naming a few on that huge iceberg.  Let's not allow our sinful passions to lead us astray and miss the victory.  Paul says to Timothy:
1 Timothy 6:11-12  But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. 
12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 
I repeat: Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment