This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Scanning Tommy

My husband is logical and practical and people have likened him to Chief Inspector Foyle on Foyle's War. He is a pretty calm man, as men go.  In the past few months, he has had a twelve inch blood clot removed from his upper thigh by way of his groin, had a camera scope of his bladder (I got to watch that.  Let me tell you it was fascinating), had a camera scope down through his esophagus into his pancreas, had all manner of shots and IVs, so you would think a non-invasive scan would be a piece of cake.
He spent two days this week having pictures done on his abdomen, focusing on the pancreas. They injected him with radioactive stuff.  That's my medical term. When he went in, the little nurse told him he would be in the scanner for about 28 minutes for the first test.
Tommy looked at the machine.
Tommy: I don't think I can do that.
Nurse: Yes, you can.  Just close your eyes and don't move. If you quit at any time, we have to start all over.... (She thought that would be incentive enough.)
He lasted a minute and a half.
Tommy: No, I can't do this. I am not gonna make it.
Nurse (calmly) : I have seen men bolt out of this machine like lightning.  You are going to do this. Are you hot or cold?
Tommy: I'm hot.
So she brought him a fan.
Nurse: Do you have any music?
He did, so they plugged in his phone.  This seem to settle him down and he made it through the hour and a half ordeal. (He loves the Piano Guys.)
Today's scan went much smoother.
Twenty years ago I had cancer and had to undergo the same type scan.  I knew if I opened my eyes, I would freak out, so I made myself keep them closed.  I did not move, as I did not want to start over. The nurse was curious and asked me what I was thinking about.
"I am decorating my Christmas tree," I answered.
And with that I wish you all a very Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment