This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Sunday, November 23, 2014

A Psalm A Day

From time to time I write to the ladies in our church in order to give them information or encourage them.  We had been discussing the benefits of having a devotional time, but some said they did not know where to start and struggled with faithfulness after beginning with zeal.  I get that.  The world sits closely by, eager to snatch our attention from the One who loves us most.
Someone dear to me said that Psalms is a great place to begin.  She suggested reading a Psalm a day, writing down a character trait of God, and choosing a verse to dwell on for that day.  I shared this with the ladies.  I have no idea if they took my advice, but I did. Today I read Psalm 16.
Psalm 16:2   I say to the LORD, "You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you." 
It is true.  Apart from God, there is nothing good anywhere...in me...in you...anywhere.
Psalm 16:5  The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. 
In biblical times, they often cast lots in order to determine something...kind of like throwing dice. Once the lot was cast, there was no arguing with the outcome.  It was settled.  He holds my lot.  He holds the outcome of my life.  He determines what comes my way.  It is settled.
Psalm 16:11 You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.  
In His presence is fullness of joy.  Why would I struggle with making time for this?  Ever?  I want my days to begin in His presence..where joy lives.  The world can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment