This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Monday, November 3, 2014

God Does Not Always Change Situations - He Changes People

Burdens can be overwhelming at times, can't they?  They show up unexpectedly and plant themselves right in the middle of our carefully dictated and planned lives.  My mom and grandmother used to say, "This too shall pass" whenever trials appeared.  (My mom still says it.) I have heard that phrase a million times and have found it to be absolutely true.  Troubles do pass...eventually - and no matter how much time it takes for them to go, it is never quickly enough.  But God uses this time to work.
One of my brothers and his wife are raising three of their grandchildren, ages one, three, and eight...all boys.  There is no end in sight to this situation.  But God sees it.  He knew this would happen and how old my brother would be when it did.  No surprise to Him.
The energy level is lower.  The strength in the arms is waning.  The gray hairs are grayer and the wrinkles deeper. (Dont't tell him I said that) Days have turned to weeks, weeks to months, and soon we are dealing with years.  Through this waiting period, I have seen changes in all of them.  My sister-in-law is stronger physically, and she has always been a very determined person.  My brother has become wiser and more patient.  (Believe me, this is amazing.) The three boys have found stability and security when they needed it most.
God takes our 'inconveniences' and uses them to shape us.  We may not like the situations we are in, we may feel like we cannot breathe at times, and we may want to run as far away as our feet can take us.  As long as we do not act on those impulses, but choose to endure, then we will endure.
We are elastic. We can stretch and bend when it is called for. We just might not choose it...and so God chooses for us...and He will walk with us, bearing every burden with us every step of the way.
I learned a long time ago not to tell God what I can and cannot do.  In EVERY situation that I told Him, "I can't" - I did...and I learned things I might not have learned otherwise.

1 Peter 5:10-11  And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.  
11 To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. Amen. Thank you for sharing. Before going on a mission trip years ago, we were told that the best ability is flexibility. How true when it comes to everyday living as well.

    ReplyDelete