This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Be Someone's Sunshine

Stress happens to all of us.  Sometimes it comes in multiple births...not that I would ever give birth to stress...unless of course it comes in the form of a human being. Okay, I have birthed a stresser or two...but I love those stress makers.
I am starting a new saying: "A stressless life is a boring life."  Think it will fly?  Me neither.
Stress robs.  It steals my time, energy, joy.  Actually, after staring at those words, it is time, energy, and joy that kill stress.  The very thing that it takes from me are the weapons I need to fight back.  That and friendship.
Today I wandered out alone - in this great big world -  to Hobby Lobby to pick up supplies for Vacation Bible School and then ventured next door to Mardel's.  I had no idea what I was looking for, but I found myself on the bargain book aisle. Nope, nothing there...until a cover caught my eye.  It was a thin hardback.  I grabbed it and sat down at a nearby table.  I read the first and last sections and I smiled, even laughed out loud alittle....but mostly just smiled.  I did not know the author and as I am careful not to endorse anyone without some investigation, I googled her.  Angela Thomas.  Pastor's wife...with a history and some opinions, but nothing I would run from...plus I loved this book.  "Be The Sunshine - Share The Light And Spread The Joy".  Be the sunshine. I picked up several copies of this three dollar book that had brought encouragement to my soul.  As I was checking out, someone came beside me and gave me a hug.  It was my dear friend Marcy.  Wow God.  How did she know where to find me? (She wasn't looking for me, but God knew.)  I am in this store maybe twice a year and here comes one of my major sources of encouragement.  God, You are so amazingly good to me.  Really.
We went to La Madeleine's for lunch and sat for an hour.  We have been friends for 40 years.  God sent me sunshine today.
On the flipside of saying that stress robs...it is also the fertilizer that makes us stronger.  I think fertilizer is an appropriate word for stress, don't you?  It isn't very pleasant, but when added at the right time, it produces something beautiful or tasteful or useful...like a shade tree on a hot day.
Let me be someone's sunshine - a reflection of You, Lord - every day.  It will take time, energy, and joy so I better hang on to those.
Matthew 5:14-16  "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 
Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house.  
In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."

No comments:

Post a Comment