This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Friday, August 29, 2014

Don't Waste Your Grief

Recently a friend of mine asked me to speak at a women's prison.  I have talked to women before...but only in the churches I have attended.  You know - people I already knew.  She (my friend) was teaching on Grief for a few weeks and asked me to speak on God's love during grief.  She also warned me that God may take me through some difficult situations in order to prepare me.  That became very true.
Grief wears many faces.  Maybe you have grieved for all the obvious reasons such as the loss of a loved one, a job, your position in life, etc.  I think people also grieve for what 'might have been', dreams unfulfilled...your perfectly planned 'whatever' that never came to be. God is there and sees every tear that is shed and He knows every heartache.
I spoke to these women yesterday.  There were about forty in the class. I told them God knew long ago that one day we would meet in this room.  I could state with certainty that neither of us (me or them) would ever have thought this would happen.  They smiled and agreed.
I told them that God was, is, and will be faithful.  I also told them that I was not, am not, and will not be faithful...but as long as I am trusting in His Son Jesus as my Savior, I am safe.  It isn't 'me' or my behavior that keeps me in His care, it is His great love for all who will believe.  I will fail Him, but He will never fail me.  My goal is to live for Him with all I am or ever will be.
Grief is part of everyone's life. We can all make lists of what makes us sad, and what we lost, but until we can also list what we have gained, then what is the point of the pain?  God makes beauty from ashes and mends the broken. That is Who He is.  He is the Finder of the lost...the Redeemer of those in bondage.
Sometimes it takes years to see anything good come out of the bad.  One lady asked me if this was possible in every situation.  She just could not believe it was true.  Her loss must have been great.  I could confidently share with her that it was true...but only through Christ Jesus.
So I challenge you to list your griefs. Take note of your losses.  Look for what you have gained. Ask God to help you see His goodness in your sadness and then share it.  Someone needs to hear it.  Don't waste your grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment