This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Monday, August 4, 2014

Where Do You Get Thick Skin?

This post could have been titled so many things.  You will see as I ramble on.  I was making a grocery list and thinking about some difficult issues I am facing in my life. So here is how my list went:
cream of tartar
mop head refill
scrubby thing refill
dish detergent
balsamic vinegar
pepperoncini
salad
avocados
tomatoes
a thick skin of love
What?  Did I really write that down?  I continued on with my thoughts...
Where exactly IS the School of Hard Knocks?  Wait.  Never mind.  I KNOW where it is. It's in that kitchen I wrote about recently where so many lovely things happen.  It's in the bedrooms, living room, den, bathroom, and garage.  IT IS AT HOME.
Where can I purchase the thick skin of love needed for living with others and raising a family?  Exactly.  It cannot be bought.  It is a priceless commodity.  It is a precious gift given by our heavenly Father. We are not born with it.  He gives it to us through others...and we do not get to pick the givers.  He does.
So, next time someone you love hurts you, ask God for a skin of love...so you can take the hit, grow more love and press on.  If this has never happened to you, get ready because it will.

1 Corinthians 13:3-8  If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment