This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Monday, January 7, 2013

My Prayer

There is a book entitled Valley of Vision.  It is full of beautifully written Puritan prayers that have been put in metered form.  When I read its words, I am moved to pray along with each thought and sentiment. Often it is read from the pulpit in our Sunday services. It seems a gift to be able to define the needs of mankind so vividly and passionately.  I kind of wish we still talked like that, but then it would take twice as many words to offer a simple cup of praise or desperate request, though He deserves every lovely word uttered.  Often we rush through our prayers as if we cannot spare time for the One who has all the answers we need.  Shame on us.  Shame on me.

I do not think my prayers are worded in an eloquent manner, but maybe my desires will be in agreement with your desires and we can make this petition to the Lord together.

"O Lord, as this year begins, my thoughts wander to renewed commitments and lofty goals, but then I remember that time is nothing to You.  A new year begins with a single day...just another 24 hours made different by only a few numbers.  Every day is full of Your mercies and new beginnings are available at any moment in time to those that love You.  This is a most wonderful gift...this privilege I have to start fresh with a heart of repentance before Your throne. Quicken my heart with conviction that I might run to You often.  May my love for You grow deeper and stronger that my sins might diminish as I seek to bring You glory.
I truly want the pretty things in life to pale in comparison to what You might have for me...whether it be a trial  or a blessing...and help me to see that they are one and the same.  Your trials are designed to bless, for You  allow only good for Your children.
 Let the enticements of the world that capture my attention be a stench in my nostrils and bitterness to my soul.  May I find joy in Your creation to refresh me.  May my hunger be for You alone.  Help me to remember that the world is rapidly passing and will continue to fade and age and that man will continue to embrace the sins he loves, clinging to the lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh, and the pride of life...making grace all the more precious a gift.  I know grace.  Let me live in what I know.
I want to be a picture of gratitude, realizing that all I have comes from You. Help me to remember to praise You often for You dwell in praises.
Make me kinder towards others, more mindful of those around me, more giving in every way, more tolerant of those that make life difficult at times, more hospitable, more forgiving, more encouraging, a servant.  In all of my weaknesses I ask that You be my strength.
Please make me useful for Your kingdom's sake and for Your glory alone.  Help me to memorize more of Your word...so that I might gain wisdom and share it with others
Take control of my tongue. Admonish me immediately for words spoken with evil intent, because of self-centeredness. Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord.  In Jesus name, Amen."

This prayer is full of my own personal struggles and pleas.  Perhaps they are yours, too.  No true change comes without the Lord's help. So let's begin today in our journey to press on for Him.  If we want our actions to be purposeful, then we must first have purposeful thoughts.
Much love, June

No comments:

Post a Comment