This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Monday, January 14, 2013

Keeping Up With Life...Or Not

Why is it so hard to do?  I look at every area of my life and see holes where I have missed things, neglected things, left things undone, etc.  (No, the answer is not to quit looking.)
Usually January is the month I get my act together for the year...taking my trusty calendar and writing in important dates, scheduling vacations, highlighting holidays, and so on. Has not happened yet.  Instead I painted a dresser, threw out any clothing I haven't worn in two years, and have managed to avoid the deep cleaning I promised my house after Christmas.  You know what? My house does not care.
January has put me on hold. I feel frozen in time, but the minute hand on my clock is still moving.  I need a hammer.  Life just won't stop.  It is in these introspective moments that I must take care not to fall into a depressive state.  Gray days, gray me.  Apathy is at my door.  I must not answer its knock.
God created time for us...for humans.  He designed us to need order and purpose, with a time for rest and a time for work.  (See Ecclesiastes 3:1-8...or the Byrds song "Turn, Turn, Turn")  Days are passing by and I am standing still.  Please tell me you feel that way, too sometimes.  Anyway, thankfully change is inevitable.  By the way - Ecclesiastes is NOT the book to read when questioning the purpose of life. He paints a bleak, though somewhat accurate picture of our pursuits of happiness.  But Solomon (a.k.a. the Preacher) nails the meaning of life in the end.
Ecclesiastes 12:13-14  The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.  
That should shake my world and wake me up.  Now, where is my calendar?

No comments:

Post a Comment