This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Thursday, January 24, 2013

An Unlikely Little Beach



 


Ahhh, south Texas winters.  Today Shannon, the kids, and I drove over to Sylvan Beach in La Porte. It was vacant, but for a few fishermen, beach combers, and hungry seagulls.  Sylvan actually lies along the ship channel.  The water is anything but clean.  Still, there are two small stretches of beach that are full to capacity during the summer months as the heat rolls in and people are desperate for some "cool".  ( I must admit that I have been that desperate a time or two...I just don't think about the fact that hundreds of ships pass by, dredging up all kinds of ickyness and slime.  Swimming where oil tankards travel is...well...not the brightest thing I have ever done.)
However, the sea vessels fascinate the kids and cause more than a few waves to come ashore.  Across the channel you can see a coastline and for some reason Luke and Emma shouted, "Land!" as if discovering a new country.  We decided it must be France or Spain for sure.
As we walked the beach, we saw many exotic creatures - an octopus, a dog, someone's hand, an astronaut on the moon next to the stars, a squid,  and a dead body..(always the mysterious.)  What an amazing beach this is!











Luke, mimicking the dead body.










There is a small store just across the parking lot where fishermen buy bait and pay to fish on the pier.  They carry a scant variety of snacks.  I was in search of food for the gulls.  We usually feed them crackers or tortilla chips, but alas, they would have to settle for Honey BBQ Fritos. (Better them than me.)  The winged ravenous wolves devoured them, allowing for some delightful pictures.



Our visit lasted only a few hours, but Emma said it was the best day ever.  (Emma has many "best days ever")  and good for her.  So I share with you some of our fun on this very cool, sunny day.

Emma jumping the waves.


Sand Angel



 
Happy Texas Winter, Y'all!



No comments:

Post a Comment