This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Going Into Darkness

A friend of mine wrote, "Where there is a shadow, there is a light."  I love that statement.

Two times this past month, our power has gone off...at night. I had forgotten how dark dark is.  It's dark.  As I drove into the driveway, I was not greeted by the little orange nightlight peeking through the blinds in one of my windows...nor by a welcoming porch light.  I unlocked the door and Blackness said, "Hello, come in" and I backed away.
Looking across the street, I could see that my neighbor's lights were on...all the way down the street. Suddenly a voice said, "Power won't be on until ten." It was my neighbor two doors down. I breathed.
I thanked him for telling me and told him I thought it was just my house, and I feared going in, but if it was a power outtage, then okay.
"I've been watching too much Justice Channel," I said under my breath. Surely Houston's Most Wanted was not lurking inside...but hey...it does happen.
Anyway, I started lighting candles and headed down the hall when there was a knock at the door. "Tommy?"  I asked. No answer.
With my Aim-n-Flame in hand, I opened the door to see my neighbor with his five year old daughter Bailey standing there in her pjs, wielding a sword that turns into an axe. Okay. Cool...and appropriate.  He was just checking on me to see if I was safe.  I told Bailey her sword was really awesome and her dad said, "It should be for what it cost me." I thanked them for checking on me and we said our goodnights.
And then there was light.
I've read several articles lately about darkness.  Seems it's a popular topic. Some live in darkness even when the sun is shining - because they choose it.  God made it...but He does not want us to dwell in it. He gave us light and then He gave us Light.
John 3:19  And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their deeds were evil. 
John 8:12  Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." 
John 12:44-46  And Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me. And whoever sees me sees him who sent me.  I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness...and that includes me.  Lights out;)

No comments:

Post a Comment