This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Monday, May 18, 2015

Our Mad Careers of Sin

I am doing a study with a friend on the book of Philippians.  Together we decide how many verses to cover in a week and then we find our own sources to help bring truths to light and seek out applications.  It has been good to read different commentaries and compare our notes.
Philippians 3:12-14  Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.  13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,  14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 

Barne's commentary puts it this way: " we are employed to His service." When Christ Jesus makes us His own, we are then in His service.  So, how am I doing as an employee?  Am I signing in each day? Am I productive in fruit bearing?  Do I strive to please and do my best?
He goes on to say that "Christ arrested us in our mad careers of sin and that He has by His grace contrained us to enter into His service."  What an amazing statement!  Our mad careers of sin are interrupted by grace!
"A man will accomplish little who allows his mind to be distracted by a mulitplicity of objects. A Christian will accomplish nothing who has not a single great aim and purpose of soul. That purpose should be to secure the prize, and to renounce everything that would be in the way to its attainment. Let us then so live that we may be able to say, that there is one great object which we always have in view, and that we mean to avoid everything which would interfere with that."
Employed forever, June


No comments:

Post a Comment