This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Christmas Purging


In my quest to scale down belongings, I talked my sweet husband into dragging down the Christmas boxes.  I told him we would do only four boxes.  Then I thought, 'well why not two more?'...which led to two more and eventually all nine boxes were sitting in my living room floor.  (This is nine plus three smaller ones in a bedroom closet.)  Let me say it for you.  Ridiculous.
Letting go of homespun memories is hard stuff, so I went easy on myself.  I actually unwrapped each ornament to make sure I wasn't chunking a valuable and precious homemade ornament from my forty year old son's first grade class. (Some treasures are unidentifiable at this point.) After carefully culling the two to three hundred ragged, glittery, meaningful, and meaningless objects that get thrown on the tree each year, I suddenly remembered that we got rid of our tree after last Christmas
Well, now.  Being faced with the choice of 'tree or no tree' brings a new issue to the table.  All the while, my husband is silently reading in the recliner.  When I posed the question to him, he simply replied, "Well, we will see what happens when it comes time to decide."
He was right.  This could wait.  (Often I think I must take immediate action in situations like this.) And who knows?  We might be ready for extreme measures by then.  I pressed on with my task.
I knocked 'nine plus' boxes down to six, with one of them begin strictly blankets and stuffed snowmen, etc, and one being strictly kitchen paper goods, tins, and things that will be disposed of -having bought them in the Christmas aftermath frenzy. Sometimes those after holiday bargains become catapults to extra spending...at least for me. And I mistakenly label it 'justifiable' in the name of frugality - only to find that the number of boxes in the attic has again increased.  (You see my dilemma.  I am my own worst enemy.)
So, Tommy hauled my excess to Goodwill.  Adios and goodbye forever.
Christmas isn't wrapped in paper and bows, but in swaddling cloths.
It isn't surrounded by glitz and glitter, or green and red anything.
As we sit in the midst of our squander and delight and claim that the best present is Jesus, do we really mean that?  Does He believe we mean that?  He sees my heart and I pray He does see that my desire is for Him to own all of me - lock, stock, and storage boxes.
I may be standing here with a cup in my hand at the end of all this purging...but, it sure feels good. Purging on...
Do you think I have enough?  Again...ridiculous. 

2 comments:

  1. We are SO on the same page right now. I have been mentally preparing for a purge for a LONG while now! It's about time to follow through with it physically. Prayers would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying this so much. My things were owning me - even thought I would have denied it- instead of me owning them. Freedom is the bomb.

    ReplyDelete