This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Camp Eagle in Central Texas


This is Garven's Store....the last spot of civilization and still 16 miles from our destination.  I just love the roosters in the foreground.  I did not venture in to meet Garven, but Tommy came back with a sack of deer jerkey that we enjoyed for days.  Pressing onward.


Hello goats and donkey.  Tommy was very gracious to stop for all my photo shoots.
We drove on til we came to Hackberry Rd.  Then we drove another eight miles down a very rocky and hole-filled road, stopping now and then for pix.

Hi Guys!  Moo!
And a real Texas windmill!!  Wahoo!  Not one of those metal monsters I wrote about in a previous post.  We saw many working windmills as we drove through central Texas.  Something about them makes me smile.  You smile, too.



Finally, we arrive!
A guy named Chris McWatters came into Tommy's office recently to tell him about his camp near Rock Springs, Tx.  Little did I know it but Tommy booked us a little stay there and that is where we are now.  It could not have come at a better time for me as I have been under some personal stress.  Surely you know what that is.  It can wear you down in body and spirit...but enough of that.  This place is the perfect medicine for a wearied soul.
Tommy and I sit on a long balcony over looking the Nueces River as we read and write.  No one is here for camp and the only sounds we hear are birds, wind, and an occasional turtle plopping into the water after sunbathing on the little dam below us.
This is a view to the right of our balcony. Turtles will line up on the cement edge when the sun comes out.  Deer come for a drink on the opposite side of the river and we watch them in the evening.  They are not too scared of us...must know we are harmless. One night we saw about a dozen.
This is the view to the left of us.  Further down the river are places for swimming and zip lining.  By the way - this IS the pool.
Eagles soar above us constantly and often dive for some sort of food in the river.  They are beautiful.

We share the balcony with other rooms, but no one else is here and so we choose any chair to sit in and read.  I often move to the edge to find a rocker in the sun.



These are not the dorms. These rooms are for guests like us who need a rest.  Thank You, Lord.
Canoes and rowboats sit across the bank waiting for rowers.  I can see the bottom of the river and the green algae grows rich and dark, fading to a lighter green sandy bottom.  They use chemicals (environmentally friendly) to kill the unwanted vegetation at the bottom to allow summer swimmers room to play.
Chris took us on a walking and riding tour and I will share some of the pictures with you.  We hiked (yes, I hiked believe it or not) and roamed on our own and explored our surroundings.  We got caught in some rain on top of a hill, but were able to capture some beautiful scenes.  Enjoy!








Dining Hall.  Served family style.  One person from each table goes and gets the food on a big tray and the table eats from it and refills it when it is empty.  All meals are hot and all you can eat!



I want coffee!!

Dorm room.

One of several zip lines including a 3000 ft one.

Me on a suspension bridge.   

Could not resist the black butterfly on the white flowering bush.




Top of the hill.

Adios from me atop the hill, not far from the cross.  That is where I want to live...not far from the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment