This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Be A Listener

Are you a good listener?  I often walk away from a conversation lamenting the fact that I interrupted, talked over, and did everything but listen to the person I was talking AT.  How rude.  I need a checklist:
Did my words edify?
Did they uplift?
Did I look the other person in the eye?
Was I listening with a sympathetic ear?
Did I have to have the last word?  Ugh.
Was I honest and truthful?
Did I in any way gossip?
When Jesus was here on earth, He was an encourager and teacher.  He heard people before they spoke and He knew how to answer questions with questions.  He went straight to the heart.  He went straight to the Father, too.  Drawing others to Himself and leading them to hope and love and peace.
So, I challenge you to be Jesus to someone today.  Listen and hear the heart....and may your words be worth saying, if they are to be said at all.

1 Thessalonians 5:9-11  For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with him. Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing. 

1 Thessalonians 5:14  And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment