This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Monday, October 14, 2013

Sleepless Nights and Radical Living

I am having a bout with insomnia presently.  Well, not presently because I am on the computer right now. But presently as in last night and the night before that and the night before that and so on.  Sigh.
I am not worried about anything,  There are no thoughts plaguing me.  It's just me, lying in bed, not sleeping. I have been reading a book entitled "from fear to freedom" by Rose Marie Miller. (It has no caps.)  So I picked it up and finished it.  It is very good and a real eye opener about what is wrong with me...and with you, too BTW. (I know. You thought I was perfect and maybe I thought that too... Well, surprise!!  We're both wrong.)
So, last night having exhausted my resources without turning on the tv, I turned to the One that knows it all. The conversation was one-sided, though He hears and answers in His time and in His way.
Me:  Okay, Lord.  Two words come to mind: comfortable and sedate.  I have become a comfortable and sedate person. As I stare at the ceiling, this reality hits hard and makes me wince.  Yes, I take care of Tommy and my mom, though she is doing well and does not need my full attention right now.  I am busy with things of my choosing, but perhaps they are not of Your choosing...just perhaps.  I am afraid I have attached those words to You also, God.  
God:  (I don't know what He is saying, but I know He is still listening.  He is probably wondering what I am going to say next.  Oh, right.  He already knows.)
Me:  Are You sitting on Your throne comfortable and sedate?  I think not.  You are doing amazing things all over the world, in every detail of Your creation.  You never sleep.  You never slumber. (Ironic, isn't it?)  If You wanted me to sleep right now, nothing could stop it from happening.  But maybe this is Your way of getting my attention...in the still of the night.  I hear nothing but the fan in the room. You radically do radical things.  Radical.  I just need to take off comfortable and put on radical. I am not sure what it will look like on me.  I am sooo very much not rad.  You will show me.  I will get out of my box.
God:  (I just know He is thinking about allowing me to sleep now.)
Me:  I've got three batches of cookie dough in my fridge that need baking.  (No, not for me.  I am abstaining at present.)  But maybe for you, dear reader.  Not very radical, but it's something.  I will still care for my husband and meet the needs of my mom, but I will put on some radical when I do.  Just watch.
And then I slept.  The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment