This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Friday, August 26, 2016

On My Daughter's Porch


 I am sitting this Saturday afternoon on my daughter's porch in Cleveland, Ohio while everyone else is inside watching Anne of Green Gables.  I've only seen it forty-five times, but I've never seen the neighborhood streets of Cleveland. Mowers  mow the next door lawn as I write.
Jana, my daughter, delivered her fifth child last week right here in this house. Elin Blythe has an older sister and three older, rowdy brothers.  The question is: Will she survive all he loving hands that beg to hold her?  I imagine so.


The houses in the Heights remind me of the ones seen in old movies like "The Good Old Summertime" and "On Moonlight Bay."  Quaint two stories with painted doors, columned porches with swings, and porch steps line the streets.  Outside summer noises vie for attention.  Jana's chimes try to outdo the mower's roar and if you add in four lively children - and a baby, you have quite a symphony.
Tall oaks and maples shade the lawns and murmuring voices are at a low as it is midday and warm.  I can hear laughter inside - probably Anne creating chaos on the screen as usual.
Suddenly we are visited by a neighbor across the way.  Her name is Diane and she is accompanied by Bailey, an attention stealer.  Bailey played fetch with TJ and Ricky while Diane held Elin for the first time.  She proceeded to tell me what a wonderful daughter I have.  (Well, yes, I taught her all I know and in spite of that she still survived and became wonderful.)


Tommy and I make our 'home' in the basement which also serves as the schoolroom.  We are surrounded by books and papers, pens and markers, along with maps, posters, and games that teach. We listen to footsteps on the stairs above us every morning, but we are slow to rise, using that one word excuse - .sabbatical.  I have come to love that word.  It means rest.  No, I did not look it up, I made it up.  Great word.
Our restful days are filled with grandchildren we see far too little, books we can't wait to finish, and Autumn recipe magazines. Mmmm.  Fall is near.
Another meal is currently being delivered as I write.  New babies bring out the cooks at church. We will soon begin evening rituals - dinner, baths, and Olympics. My goal while here is to serve Jana and help her through the transition period of an added child.  While there are many tasks to do, they are no burden at all. When I go, she will manage with the help of her willing children...ok, well at least they are all willing to hold Elin.
Oh wait!  Addie just offered me a pedicure and foot rub!  Well...if you must.  As the callouses disappear from my travel weary feet, I once again thank the Lord for sweet granddaughters.  The boys watch curiously and asked why girls do such things.  Um, you know...we're girls!



(Oh, the questions we could ask them in return: Like why do they put rocks in their pockets and sand in jars?  Why do they smell and run around outside in their underwear wearing superman capes? Why do bugs fascinate them and burps even more?  Okay, I'll stop.)
The end of the day arrives as scheduled and 'night nights' are exchanged along with hugs.  These are precious moments that will become memories for me in the days ahead.
The Lord has blessed me for sure and I am grateful for all the children in my life.  Each one created for His glory, each deserving my love..no matter how they smell or where they live.

No comments:

Post a Comment