This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Isaiah 46

I am still on my quest to know God more intimately; to discover Who He is.  This mystery unfolds with each chapter in each book.  He wants us to know Him. Currently I am in Isaiah where the LORD is comparing Himself to man's idols and just as it was applicable then, it is also applicable today. The people carried their idols as they traveled from place to place using beasts that groaned from the weight, so that even they were forced to be enslaved by inanimate objects.
God tells the Israelites that He bore their weight before their birth. "I made you, I bear you, I will carry you, and I will save you."  How could they/we possibly compare anything to God?  They fashioned from gold and silver objects to be lifted on shoulders and carefully placed for exhibition alone - unable to move. They answered no cry for help or saved anyone from trouble.

Remember this and stand firm -

Aren't you thankful for that?  Me, too.  He will accomplish all that He ever intended to do.  He is not like us...good intentions, but unfinished goals.  He will do all He ever planned to do.

This chapter both surprised me and brought me great comfort. Surprising because in the previous chapter, God makes a declaration of Who He is and of His majesty and glory and then in this chapter, His comparison of Himself with man-made idols almost seems unnecessary, but we are an ignorant and rebellious lot.  Sadly, our focus of worship is at times misplaced. We need reminding that man can create monstrosities and work futilely at useless manifestations of self glorification, while God sees and announces in the midst of our idolatry..."I am God and there is no other."  Take comfort that God declares for Himself Who He is.  No other idol can do that.  One day every knee will bow.


No comments:

Post a Comment