This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Thursday, August 4, 2016

I Am My Biggest Hurdle and I Can't Get Over Myself

First of all, let me say that at times I am funny.  I was eating lunch with a friend and we were discussing obstacles that keep us from getting things done or hinder our walk with Christ.  I said, "I am my biggest hurdle and I can't get over myself" and then we both burst into laughter.
Honestly, though...it's true. So often we are the reason we can't get things done.  Bad planning, invited distractions, and greener grass cause us to veer from our well organized agenda and go skipping into the unknown, unproductive, and unthought out, willy nilly, harem scarem, 'cast your fate to the wind' time wasters. (But doesn't casting your fate to the wind sound great once in a while?  I love that song.)

Actually, we are going on sabbatical for a couple of months. And we are not sailing, but flying so we can't really set our sails for anything, but we can metaphorically cast our fates, sort of I guess. Isn't flying these days like casting your fate to something?  Yes, it is. Thankfully, my fate is with the Lord Jesus.
Anyway, back to the point - we have good intentions, but unless we actually do them, they are just something we intended to do.  At the end of life, do you want to  say, "Oh Lord, I intended to do that." (I have a feeling we will all feel that way regardless)  But let's decide now to finish well.
I can't change you, but I can change me and challenge you to change you. Let's be unhindered in our task to do all that God asks us to do and let caution fly to the wind.  Let's be radically His. You will be surprised at the things He will ask of you...like dishes, laundry, shopping for groceries, changing diapers, and helping with schoolwork. Maybe He will ask you to wear a smile at work or help someone change a tire or treat someone to lunch or just to fully love people. You never know. You may end up in politics or grassy huts in Timbuktu.  God has big plans for His people...always.
Let's throw all our cares on Him, along with our desires, dreams, and wishes. Give them completely to the Lord and watch what happens when we are recklessly abandoned and committed to do the will of the Father.  What is stopping you? Are you stopping you? Get over yourself.
I'm with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment