This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Monday, March 21, 2016

Unleavened Bread

I am taking a break from my Spring Break tour to write about unleavened bread...since it is Passover week.  I made it for my first graders in Sunday School a couple of weeks ago as we talked about the last week Jesus spent here on earth.
The recipe I used came from the internet and involved three ingredients:
1 cup wheat flour
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup water
(Some recipes called for white flour and honey. I highly recommend the honey.)  Mine was not very yummy:(
Knead 5 minutes.

Roll out to 1/8" thickness.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes on greased cookie sheet.


I cut some into strips and left some to tear apart as they likely did back then. It isn't supposed to be tasty, and is supposed to be eaten with bitter herbs, but I left the herbs at home.
Passover first occurred when the Israelites were in Egypt and the LORD brought the plagues upon Pharoah and his people.  God spared the first borns of the Israelites by having them sacrifice a lamb and place its blood over the outside door so that the angel of death would 'pass over' their houses, thereby sparing the first borns inside. (See Exodus 12 for a full review)
Sometimes things come to light in my head late in life.  (I am just glad there is still a bulb in there at all.) God planned for Jesus to die during Passover week all along. The timing is what I did not know. There is no other time during the year when the death of Jesus would have more meaning. The Jews had celebrated Passover for years. Their Messiah had come as the Passover was taking place.
He was the sacrificial Lamb whose blood would be shed that they and all who believe might be delivered - from slavery to sin.  Redeemer, Deliverer, and Savior had come!
We sat in the floor of my classroom that Sunday and drank grape juice and shared the unleavened bread.  Most of the class gave a thumbs down on the taste. (Let them be thankful I left the bitter herbs at home!) But I have some gluten free children who absolutely loved it. I did get their parents' permission to give it to them. One dad said I could give it to his son Noah if I also explained its meaning so that he could give him a dissertation on it when they got home...so I studied.
It is still true today.  This truth is eternal.  Jesus Christ, Son of God, born of a virgin came to redeem us from a life of bondage in sin.  Praise His holy name!  He is risen just as He said.
Mark 16:5-7  And entering the tomb, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, dressed in a white robe, and they were alarmed.  And he said to them, "Do not be alarmed. You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He has risen; he is not here. See the place where they laid him. But go, tell his disciples and Peter that he is going before you to Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you." 

No comments:

Post a Comment