This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Saturday, March 19, 2016

No Appendicitis, No Strawberries, and Simon!

Ahhh! Spring Break.  We were fortunate enough to have four of our grandchildren for three days during this week of mayhem for those taking a break from the books.  If I wrote all we did in one post, you grow weary of reading, so I am 'breaking' it up into readable pieces.
Tuesday morning, we woke with a plan.  We would head out to Froberg's to pick strawberries and afterwards linger for a picnic on the grounds of our favorite farmers' market.  Little did we know the adventure that lay ahead.
(Let me say right here that Luke had been ill the weekend before, leading to a trip to the ER with symptoms suspiciously akin to appendicitis.  Though the doctor felt fairly sure it was not, it was recommended a close eye be kept on him.)
Because our car would not accommodate the six of us, Tommy followed me in another and Luke hitched a ride with him.  I was low on gasoline, so we all pulled over for a pit stop.  My phone rang.
Shannon (mother of the kids): The doctor just called and said to have Luke hop up and down on each leg.  If there is pain, then we will need further tests.
Me: Really? Is this a medical test? (It made me wonder if Granny Clampett was the doctor.)
I made all of the kids line up against the car and jump up and down on one leg, then the other.
Me: Anyone hurting?
Since the reply was an 'all clear,' I happily reported to Shannon that none of her kids had appendicitis and she was pleased to hear it.


We had not gone far at all when a man in overalls who Bella named Mr. Demandy Pants stopped us. He told us the road ahead was being worked on and that we would have to make several detours to reach our destination.  Fine.  We can do that.
Undaunted, we decided to make up a song as we often do.  We sang about eating all the strawberries we picked before the cashier could weigh them. thereby avoiding payment. (It was just a song, okay?)
Froberg's was now in sight along with a mile-long line to get in. There would not be a strawberry left in the whole field for us to pick and eat, much less pay for.  We abandoned our plan immediately, made a u-turn, and headed for the feed store just down the road abit, hoping for a glimpse at spring's newborn chicks and ducks.
Ivy takes a peek at baby ducks.


Driving aimlessly down Highway 6, we came upon a roadside picnic table that was probably there the day I was born.  Not much to look at, but perfect for us.
We spread the table and ate as if it were our last meal.  I challenged the kids to pick flowers and look for unusual things. (This is what we always do while in the wild.)
Luke spotted a green lizard.  I quickly emptied a tupperware container and the catch was on. Success was sweet to the kids, but not so much for "Simon" who begged for his freedom.  I could see the remains of our picnic stuck to the lid as they poked holes in the top with my keys and made big plans for raising him at home.

Drama ensued as I advised them to let Simon stay in his habitat here in the wild, among flowers and picnic crumbs.  After much pleading, they reluctantly agreed to set him free, and Simon showed his gratitude over and over again.
He first hopped onto Luke's arm instead of hurrying away.


Then he gave Bella and Emma both little hugs and kisses.


What a sweet ending to our picnic!  The kids were so happy, even though Bella cried most of the way to our next destination....which will be in another post.
Just a reminder to me and to you I hope - that the best laid plans only lead to the bestest plans. There is always an adventure lurking around the next corner, or down the street.  You only have to look for it! Happy Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment