This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Monday, January 11, 2016

Being Ready With Golden Apples

Proverbs 25:11 A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver. 
I have no silver, no golden apples, but I hope to get my point across with these.
1 Peter 3:14-16  But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. And do not fear their intimidation, and do not be troubled, but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence; and keep a good conscience so that in the thing in which you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.  
(Sidenote: More often than I can say, I will hone in on a verse/thought and write about it, only to hear it pop out of my husband's mouth from the pulpit. Is it not the Lord making these verses even more dear and important to me? Tommy does not read my blog and I do not read his sermon notes. Just FYI.)
Is your speech always fitly spoken with blessings for the hearer?  Mine neither. I want my words to be edifying and thoughtful, but they are often rash and lacking in discretion.  Peter tells us to be ready to make a defense to all who ask us about the hope that lies within us...with the sometimes absent "gentlenss and reverence."  (I need to work on that part.)
I believe we, as Christians are called to suffer, therefore expect it and brace yourselves. May the love we have for Christ our Savior be our impetus for sharing the gospel, leaving the results with God.
In a fallen and falling further world, it is more necessary than ever that we speak truth to those around us. Let our words be apples of gold, presented to others as on a silver platter - delightful to the ear and satisfying to the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment