This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Pleasing the "I" and the Lord

In the midst of 2015, I launched a rebellion against my calendar.  It had always been full of needed reminders, but I found myself avoiding it and liking it.  As long as I could stick a note on the fridge, I was good.
My memory is only on the way out, making recall more difficult than ever.  The info is in my brain somewhere; I just can't always find it.  Recently I attended a planning meeting with several other ladies.  Here I was with my calendar, notebook, and pen, and they all had out their phones and ipads. They suggested that I put all my notes on my phone.  What??!!?? And not use my paper and pen???
I am like the US Mail: through wind and snow and sleet and hail...something, something, the US Mail.  I think they call it 'snail mail' these days, but there is just nothing like receiving a personal note in the mailbox and there is also nothing like a good pen instead of typing on a tiny phone with a small font. (Gross...and difficult for people with gray hair.)
I said, "What if you drop your phone in the water?"
They all said in unison, "It's ok! It's on the cloud."
What a ridiculous sentence that is...frightening, too. Who and what else is on that cloud?
Okay, I am reeealllly digressing.
We made tenative plans for the church as a whole and I left with some idea of what 2016 would look like in the months ahead.  However my own calendar was still blank.  
I want my plans to be God's plans. How would He have me spend the days He gives me?  There are some obligations for sure, but most of my time is my own.  I also gave up shopping in 2015...a decision I in no way regret, hence more available hours to fill.
What would He say about my 'to do' lists?  Will there be blessings disguised as interruptions that He has in mind for me?  I hope so.  My agenda might be pleasing to my eyes, but is it pleasing to His? That is what matters, you know.  If what pleases the "I" also pleases the Lord, then my plans will be as they should be.
Lord, remove wasteful items from my 'to do' list as a surgeon would a nonfunctioning organ or a cancer. Help me to remember that my sole purpose on this earth is to bring You glory.
I read an article this morning in Tabletalk magazine. In it was a sentence that screamed at me from the page. "The gospel found its origin in eternity past when the three Persons of the Trinity purposed to glorify themselves by saving a people for themselves." R.C. Sproul.
So there it is in black and white.  Get out your calendars and plan to give God glory in all you do.
And Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment