This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Bolivar Bound


Living in South Texas for so long, it is easy to overlook the simple free pleasures right in front of us. On Jana's recent visit from Chicago, we packed a big lunch and headed south to Galveston in order to ride the ferry across to Bolivar Peninsula and explore its shoreline.  It was extremely cold that day. After boarding the ferry, everyone got out of their cars and climbed the stairs to view the channel from a higher level.  Some of us (with brains) went inside to stay warm and watch through the window.
Driving off the boat, on the left was a lighthouse.  It had been years since I took this ride and I didn't remember the lighthouse at all.  As we took the only road offered us, we turned right into a park area with bunkers from as far back as the Civil War.  Matt walked the kids over and read to them while they patiently listened.  It was not long until they returned, hungry and cold.  We found a building to block the wind and made our picnic on the porch.
Ricky said it was the best day ever...and I have to agree with him.
Tommy and Ivy watched from inside the ferry.


Best day ever!

Ivy on the inside, Emma on the out.

Eskimo Jana gives us a wave.



Ivy is reaching on glass for brother Luke and it looks like she is grabbing his face.


Levi
It looks like we are feeding a vagabond.

Picnic in the sun.





Bunkers

Sometimes we remember things better when they are out of our normal daily habits.  Cold weather in Texas, riding on water, and a picnic with bundled children makes this memory unforgettable.  These smiles are unforgettable, too.




No comments:

Post a Comment