This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Monday, January 25, 2016

Most Jelly Beans are in Hell

My Sunday School lesson was on the Transfiguration and it just did not feel right to include that in the title along with jelly beans...and I did not want to infer that I had a grasp on that subject, except on a first grade level, so even though I left it out of the title, it was the main lesson this morning. However, we managed to morph into jelly beans being in Hell, because that is where my class put them.  Have I set the scene enough to make you curious?  Well then, I'll continue.
While preparing the lesson on the Transfiguration, (really? for first graders?) I tried to be creative, lest I lose their interest from the beginning.  I wrote out the 'nouns' from the story: a mountain, Jesus, Peter, James, John, Elijah, Moses, 3 tents that Peter wanted to make but didn't, a voice, and a bright cloud. Each child took two papers as class attendance was low today.  When it came time in the story for their noun to be drawn, they came up and added it to the picture. Let the art begin.



I love the way they think.  Notice one of the tents is a dome tent and one is a tee pee by choice.  I am impressed by the voice.  Paul came up with the idea of the sonar type drawing on that one.
Anyway, the Great White Throne judgment is not discussed in the same passage, but my literature brought it up, so I did too.  I had previously written out statements for them to blindly choose and read before the Judge (me). All of them stated good reasons for being allowed into Heaven, but none good enough but one.  She passed into Heaven. Hence, most of them were cast into utter darkness. The one girl who was granted entrance also received a peppermint and some jelly beans.
After explaining the rewards for accepting Christ as Savior, I shared the peppermints and jelly beans with those bound in Hell.
I also handed out posters of the wide gate and the narrow gate.  The children really love looking at the difference.  Most put the larger portion of jelly beans on the wide path and peppermints representing God in Heaven.  I did not tell them to do anything.  This was all their ideas.  They 'get it.'




There are alot of jelly beans on that narrow path.  I just pray I am one of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment