This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Dads

Today is Father's Day.  Being a dad is an easy job. Being a good dad calls for effort. Being called a great dad is an honor, but so often is the opinion of the one being 'fathered' and that label might change from child to child for whatever reason.  Isn't that true for any of us?  No one is all things to all people, but 'Dad' is a special title that carries with it responsibilities.
My dad has been dead for many years.  He and I were never really close and while I used to think it was his fault, I wish he were here today so I could thank him for being my dad.  My parents divorced when I was a young teenager.  After that, he was in and out of my life, mostly out...by his choice, but I was not unhappy about that.  He had a temper.
I look in the mirror and see my dad.  No mistake about it.  My dad stares back at me. (Even my brothers agree.)
He was the baby of nine.  I don't think he ever grew up in the way of needing and demanding attention.  In hindsight, I would like to tell him that it's okay and to show him love.  I understand him better now than I ever did.  That's what God does.  He teaches us how to love people...especially those closest to us.
If love comes easy for your dad, thank the Lord.  If it doesn't, and you know the Lord, you can change that. Strive to make a difference in his life and forgive.
I asked my dad to forgive me a few weeks before he died.  I had not been the daughter he might have needed me to be.  I also told him that life is hard at times and that if he ever wanted to yell at someone, he could yell at me and it would be okay. He thanked me...and never yelled at me again.
Months later my dad fell and went into a coma and died within days.  He was fifty-five. It isn't always the quantity of time we are given, but the quality.  You and I can change the quality of the lives around us...just by choosing to love and forgive.  It is worth the investment - not only for them, but for us.  Mostly for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment