This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Memorial Day




tee shirts Shannon made for the kids
I am two days late posting this, but who cares, right?  We do not usually have a big whoop - dee - doo  on Memorial Day.  We have been invited to a barbeque here and there in the past and maybe we have even hosted one...just can't remember.  (My memory has gotten worse, and actually you could come to me and say "We had you over on Memorial Day 2010" and I would say, "Did I have fun?")
Anyway, this year it fell on a night when we had family Bible Study, so we decided to do the whole grilling and barbecue thing.  A couple of years ago we started have weekly studies in our home for any family member that could/wanted to come.  We needed it and needed to be praying together. We still do.
It alternates on a different day every other week.  We meet at our house around 6:30, eat dinner - consisting of whatever we all contribute - and have a two or three hour study on a book in scripture.
SO, why on a holiday, did we feel the need to bring an exorbitant amount of food as if it were Thanksgiving?  I don't know, but we did.
Laurette and her daughter Tamrynn
Our Memorial Day was a memorable one.  I am thankful we are able to freely celebrate this holiday.  Only because of the Internet and news reports (hmmm) do most of us here in America get to see a glimpse of what it would be like to live without freedom.  Having bible studies in homes is forbidden in some places.  I wonder if it were forbidden here, how many of us would pursue it anyway?
Our family had grown distant and we were drowning in wayward children and trouble.  We were only gathering on holidays...let's see, how many a year?  Maybe four.  That was not enough for us.  So we meet once a week and study and talk to the only One who intervenes in the hearts.  Yes, there are still changes to be made, but it is amazing how God changes the pray-er first, and then maybe those around him/her will change, too.
Hope your holiday was a memorable one.

My brother Owen and my son Lee did the grilling
Yum!




Josh and Tommy
Emma, Bella, cousin Hayden with hot dog, and Luke



Ivy
I failed to get pictures of Lee and Shannon and my mom and Tommy's mom....but they were there, too!      
Cherith

No comments:

Post a Comment