This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Reason for the Season

It is Jesus. You have heard that catchy phrase. It can be found on Christmas cards, ornaments, all things red and green. But wait...isn't He is the Reason for every season?  
Sometimes days go by without me noticing (that's when I say "it just can't be December!)...because I allow the world to creep in with all of its enticements begging me to find my joy, my pleasure in external trappings and I drift far away from the One who owns me. I am undone on those days until I remember - there is only one source of joy.
If my happiness depends on anyone else, anything else - I am always in danger of losing it. Unless it is of eternal value with an everlasting substance, it fades. No one, no job, no new found affection, no attained goal, no 'pretties', no updated version of whatever. None of it will bring me the lasting peace and contentment I so desire. In fact, they will rob me of it.
You know how the batter flies off of the electric mixer when the beaters are spinning? That is me...as I spin and all else flies away from me until there is nothing but me left...unclean me.  God is the mixer, the potter, the sculptor.  In one sense, I am the batter, being made into something good...but then I am also the metal beater...being spun around until I am cleared of all I was stuck in, the world with its bits of residue staining me. I am incapable of cleaning myself. He spins me clean and shows me that when I am in a thick mess I am hardly useful and when I am ejected into the sink, I am undone. It is the connection to Him that makes sense of my life and I find purpose. Apart from Him I am void...incomplete.
What is this Reason we celebrate Christmas? What is the Reason we live?  What is the Reason I get out of bed every day, stay home or run errands, clean dirt from my surroundings as all women do (sooner or later), make list upon list, cook, fix, organize life into segments I can deal with...why am I doing this every day?
Days can be mundane, routine, and unrewarding unless I do all for the One who was born for me. He makes Reason happen in all my seasons. I am forever grateful that He is my Reason...for it all.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment