This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

JOY!

Simple word.  Magnificent meaning.  "A strong feeling of pleasure; gladness; happiness."  It is seldom used in our everyday language.  We use it much at Christmas.  We sing it often then.  It is so much bigger than our expression of it.  It wells inside until it bursts forth in praise to God.

John 15:11  These things I have spoken to you, that my JOY may be in you, and that your JOY may be full.  (See - JOY is to be shared...it is inside us.)

Philippians 4:1 Therefore, my brothers, whom I love and long for, my JOY and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved.

James 1:2-3   Count it all JOY, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.

Luke 2:10-12  And the angel said to them, "Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of a great JOY that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.  And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger."

Steven Curtis Chapman wrote a song several years ago and the chorus is so beautiful..
What kind of JOY is this
That counts it a blessing to suffer?
What kind of JOY is this
That gives the prisoner a song?
What kind of JOY can stare death in the face,
And see it as sweet victory?
This is the JOY of a soul that's forgiven and free.

This is best kind of JOY.  It is the JOY that can be ours only through Christ's death, so it matters most.  The JOY at His birth was immense and immeasurable.  Great JOY are the best words to describe what was happening on that night in Bethlehem.  It would change the world.  Unspeakable JOY.  But His death brought another JOY...an everlasting one.  It is my JOY and it can be yours, too.

JOY TO THE WORLD!
and
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment