This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Adversity, Prosperity, and Pleasure Seeking Selfish Lumps of Clay

I read recently that adversity teaches and prosperity does nothing.  (I seldom get inspiration from within.  It usually is born from what I read along with life's experiences.)  Anyway, I must agree with that statement.  My biggest lessons learned came through trials.  When life offered nothing but pleasure, I learned nothing but the want for more pleasure.  I'm a greedy girl, but thank the Lord that He knows what is best for me and throws me hard times now and then like a parent hands out vitamins.  It is for my good, even when the taste is bitter.
Never ending pleasure begets greed.  Shame on us when we overindulge our children.  It teaches them nothing but expectations for more....and it isn't their fault.  It is ours.  But then we get mad and wonder why they are so ungrateful.  Okay, I am really digressing here, but only trying to make my point.
Clay left alone is just lumpy clay.  The longer it sits, the less pliable it becomes.  But when poked and prodded and shaped, it becomes useful.  (Like me and my body...but we won't go into that right now.)
The bottom line is, don't waste your trials.  Learn from them, change because of them, even be grateful for them.  God is at work for your good.  Pleasure seeking selfish lumps of clay abound in this world.  The mirror of God's word will help you stay in check.  I am always just a choice away from a lumpy disposition.
(Okay, so I just asked my son Luke if it was all right to call people 'pleasure seeking selfish lumps of clay.'  He smiled and said, "Write it."  So I am.
2 Corinthians 4:16  So we do not lose heart. Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment