This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Musing In The Midst of My Dumps


 I liketh my bookmark.
I am taking a class at church on Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan, a book I have read many times.
( I had someone ask me once if he was the lumberjack with the ox - to which I replied, "Uh, no.") There are several versions ranging from ye Olde English hither, thither, and yon original to the updated hipster understandable version...and many in between...or is it 'in betweenest?' (my computer says 'not a word')
Tommy is teaching the class and he printed up an older dialect with thees and thous and words like durst...as in 'I durst not eat another cookie, lest I end up resembling a pachyderm (elephant).  Durst means dare.
So... speaking lyrically...ahem...I happened upon a phrase that caught my eye: "musing in the midst of my dumps."  After laughing out loud, it occurred to me that I muse in my dumps all the time.  You probably do, too.
Bunyan's usage: "Why truly I do not know what had become of me there, had not Evangelist happily met me again as I was musing in the midst of my dumps; but it was God's mercy that he came to me again for else I had never come hither." He had avoided being 'dashed to pieces by a mountain.'
So next time I am in the dumps, I will try and remember this phrase and it will bring a smile to my face, making my dumps less...well...dumpy.  I will also be grateful that I, too have not been dashed to pieces...by anything.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment