This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Saturday, September 6, 2014

It's The Simple Things That Delight

Tommy and I stay home most evenings and sit quietly reading, writing, or watching an occasional movie.  (There is little on the tube to capture our attention, these days.)  I can be reclusive after the sun goes down, but he talked me into a drive.  Sylvan Beach is close and allows us a pretty view of the water.  It is obvious that school has started because there were few folks walking the shoreline and only a handful were fishing from the pier.  The wind was strong, warm, and scattered the mosquitoes, so we sat with the windows down for a while.  I love watching the water.  (I have tried time and again owning an aquarium, but it never really works out for me...or the fish.  Sigh.)
I was suddenly inspired to browse an office supply store. (It doesn't take much.)  Tommy agreed to appease my whim, after we stopped to visit Louisa, a long time friend.  She is probably one of the most interesting people we know.  She came here from Austria many years ago after marrying Leroy.  He passed away recently and we enjoy checking on her.  It is never an ordinary visit, because Louisa is anything but ordinary.  She lives on a farm full of ducks, geese, chickens, sheep, goats, and a donkey...not to mention three lively dogs.  She works at NASA, managing the grounds and keeping up the landscape.  Her garden at home is full of healthy veggies, free from all pesticides and chemicals.  We never make it home without a bag of produce.
We did not leave until dark, but still we headed for our next destination.  Those that know me well, know that I am a pen snob.  I love good pens.  Did I say I love them?  I LOVE them.  There may be worse pen snobs than me, but I am bad enough for two people...or three.  Just when I think I have discovered the perfect pen, perfection is rediscovered in a newer, better, more finely pointed writing utensil.  I am drawn like a moth to a flame.  (I never was very original at analogies.)  But better yet, they were half price!
I finished the evening reading the latest Yankee magazine given to me by our friend, George.  It featured an article about Tasha Tudor, an illustrator and author who lived in New England.  I believe she might deserve a post all her own so...later gators.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I found you!!
    Thank you so much for your sweet gifts to us when you came last week. I didn't find the soap until you left...and the cake was so good and rich!
    I loved visiting and fellowshipping with you. Thank you for all you do and am so very thankful for this church. God is so very good. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete