This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

A Happy Meal, A Debit Card, and A Lost Ring

Funny things seem to happen to me in clusters.  They surprise me and make me laugh.  It is better than crying.
My niece Molly spent the night with me night before last and we watched movies into the night.  Molly has a younger brother and sister and contends with their early hours, so I let her sleep in and take it easy.  I worked in the kitchen and she did as she liked.  Around noon, we left to run an errand for my mom and meet her mom somewhere along the way.  I drove through McDonald's and ordered her a Happy Meal.  Just a cheeseburger with ketchup only, please.  As I went to pay, my card was declined.  She ran it again, and again it was declined.  After the third try, we both gave up and I called my banker, Tommy Dahn.  He informed me that our cards had been compromised.  Thank you, Target.  He said I could use it with my debit number only.  So I went to the bank, retrieved some cash, and went back to Mickey D's.
We met up with Kasie and Molly departed.  I proceeded to WalMart. As I walked through the meat aisle, I noticed a group of women leaning over a frozen bin, pulling out Honeysuckle turkey breasts and putting them into a basket.  I looked at the price...25 cents a pound!  I asked about them and she said that they must sell them, but that there was nothing wrong with them.  Each was under or around two dollars. Now really, I mustn't let greed take over.
I asked why they were removing them and she said, "This lady dropped her ring in there."  She was an elderly lady and I looked on the floor around her to be sure she did not just drop it.  Meanwhile a crowd was gathering.
I mosied to the back of the store to get my mom's milk.  When I returned, the search was still on and the crowd still there.  Soon the woman held up the ring and shouted, "I found it!  It was my grandmother's!"  Everyone clapped.
I grabbed a couple more turkey breasts and headed for the check out.  I went through the self check lane. When I swiped my card and put in my pin number....declined.  I swiped again.  It was as if I was arguing wtih the machine.  We do not carry credit cards of any kind so I stared into my wallet at my driver's license and Kroger card. Hmmm.  What to do. Suddenly a card shone out from the rest.  It was a credit card!  I grabbed it without looking at it and swiped it.  Transaction approved!  Wahoo!  And then I called Tommy, the banker.  "Yes," he said, "your card is dead, now." I told him what I had done and he asked me what card I used.  I told him I had no idea.  He asked if it was green and I said, "Yes."  Then he informed me that it was the church's card.  "Oh well," I said, "the church just bought us eighteen dollars worth of groceries."  Of course we will pray them back. (Lest you think I am completely dense about what cards I have, I did not have my glasses on and the crowds were pressing in and I thought it was one that we had for emergencies...like this.  Believe me?)
Tommy then told me that he went to the bank and picked us up some new cards and I had to wait two hours before using it. (You would think he was accusing me of not being able to wait that long. Really. How insulting.)
I delivered the goods to my mom and later that day, Tommy and I went back to see if there were any two dollar breasts left and of course they were all gone.  I know there is a lesson in there somewhere, but I will figure it out on another day.  Right now I need to go see if this debit card works.
BTW - we have Lifelock.  They stopped our cards from being used by others.  Just FYI.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

1 comment:

  1. Ha great stories, June! Hope you and Tommy and your family had a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete