This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Monday, December 9, 2013

Decembers

Decembers run the same course in different ways each year, the peak being Christmas Day and then sliding down a bit to New Year's Eve. (I spend my New Year's Eve at home in my pj's with hubby Tommy.  We try and stay awake long enough to hear the illegal firecrackers going off outside and kiss a Happy New Year.)
It is mid-December now and I strive to make this month different and better than those of the past.  I imagine myself baking cookies with jingle bells hanging around my neck, while listening to the constant barrage of Christmas carols blaring from the radio.  It's all part of the holidays, isn't it?  Cookies and candies, songs and movies, ribbons and bows tied to everything that doesn't move, and some that do. The problem is...I am tired and I know where this is all leading - Christmas Day, when my head hits the pillow and the once loved decorations become another item on my list of things to cross off by putting them away. It makes me sad, but isn't it true?  Please don't get me wrong.  I repeat this process every year because I either love it, or I don't know what else to do with this month. No, I love it, but...
There must be a better way to celebrate the coming of this Baby, this Savior of the world, this Gift from God. To not participate in customary activities might make me sad in January...but what if it didn't?  What if I changed my habits about all of this and what if I loved the change? What if I just stopped and worshiped as the shepherds did on that night in Bethlehem, giving nothing but themselves in praise? Did they repeat that every December? I doubt it. Did it change them?  Surely so.
God's Gift to me is His Son Jesus who came to redeem me unto Himself, removing my sins by dying on a cross. As a baby in a manger, He came. So, I will wrap up all the things that ensnare my thoughts and drive me to holiday frenzy this month and lay them at His feet...and I too, will just give Him praise. That is my gift to Him...a December of praises.
  MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment