This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Friday, November 8, 2013

Looking Back



A few of the homeschoolers in our church are studying the Depression, which basically lasted from 1929 to 1940.  They wanted to interview some who had lived during that time...to hear of their experiences and what life was like then.  I loaded my car with three 'young at hearts' (my mom, Tommy's mom, and Ernestine) and we headed for the Jackson home.  I felt like I was chauffeuring the Golden Girls. They did not all know each other, but their memories bonded them instantly.  Mr. and Mrs. Cole joined us there.  We were greeted at the door by the Jackson boys and the Johnson children.
After a delightful lunch,we sat in the living room and the questions began.
1. How many pairs of shoes did you own?
Two.  One for weekdays and one for Sunday and you never wore Sunday shoes during the week.
2. What was your house like?
Cold in the winter and the outhouse was outside....along with the outdated Sears catalog. (Smile.)
3. What candies did you enjoy?
Chum gum, Guess What's, BB Bats
4.  What games did you play?
Kick the Can, Jump rope, Jacks, Hopscotch, Scrub ball, Marbles
5. Food?
Lots of beans. BTW - my chiroprator recently told me that beans are a super food and the more you eat, the less gas you will have as your body adjusts.  Hmmm. Is that true?
Soup lines were for those who had no other means of eating.
6. What were jobs like?
Everyone in the family worked, either around the farm or doing odd jobs.  Everyone knew they had to contribute to the family, not all monetarily, but by helping to get things done.
7. What were schools like?
One room school houses with all grades.  Lunches were wrapped in newspaper and tied with string.  (My grandmother taught in a one room school house.)
8. Chores?
Feeding chickens, picking up the dead ones, and laundry.  Wash day took all day and was done with a wash board and tub. Some picked cotton in order to earn enough money for school clothes.
There were no specialty stores, just general ones.  Clothes were mostly handmade. Pennies were broken down into mills and that was the tax used on items bought. Phones had party lines and others could listen in on your calls. (I just can't imagine that, at all, but it might have cut down on gossip!)
My mother-in-law Shirley lived in Oklahoma and she and the other children would go into town on Saturdays just to watch the Indians come in. (Perhaps the Indians came to town just to watch the children.)
Once, a train went through her home town carrying President Roosevelt.  When it stopped, she was able to hear him speak from the back of the caboose.  Most Americans did not even know that he was in a wheel chair.  They gathered around the radio to hear him speak.
My mom lived in Illinois and my grandmother would tell her to keep away from the gypsies.  They often took whatever they wanted, and were even known to steal children.
Mr. Cole said that he did not know he was poor until someone told him.  Everyone else felt the same.  Isn't childhood wonderful?
When it was time to leave, we said our good byes and on the way home, the Golden Girls were busy planning the next adventure.  I will let you know....



No comments:

Post a Comment