This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Monday, April 15, 2013

What Would Jesus Do?

Just a thought.  Recently I was reacquainted with the book "In His Steps" by Charles Sheldon.  I was speaking at a Ladies' Retreat on the subject of caring what man thinks as opposed to what God thinks.  I took a survey beforehand and almost to a person, everyone said that they cared what God thought most of all, but did not always live like it.  I do understand what they were trying to say, but the truth is, there is not much truth in that answer.  
I remember a time when one of my children said, "I just want to please you and make you happy."  I responded with, "No, you just want me to be happy with your choices." And he/she agreed.  We want God to be happy with our choices often when we know He won't be, because our choices do not line up with His word....but often we proceed anyway.
In His Steps is where the term 'what would Jesus do?' originated.  A small church in a small town was asked by their pastor to take on a challenge for one year.  The terms were as follows: For one year, each person would ask himself "What Jesus would do?" before making any decisions.  If it was unclear, he/she would seek counsel in the scriptures.  Otherwise he would proceed as he thought Jesus would want him to. Not many were up for the test, but a few decided to join him in this endeavor.
It changed their lives...and the lives of many others.  Their testimonies were noticed. We have taken that phrase and put it on bracelets, bumper stickers, banners, and worn it around our necks.  But what if we just did it?  What if we just considered its meaning?
Just a life changing thought that we might all put into action...and see what happens.
Lord, I believe.  Help my unbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment