This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Galveston With My Mom - 2013



Every year or so, my mom and I drive south and spend a few days in Galveston.  It does not matter if it is cold and rainy, or warm and sunny, though of course we prefer a brighter view of Galveston's murky waters.  Her eyesight is worsening and every day is a sunny day with her.  I admire the fact that she does not complain very much and often wonder how blindness would affect me.  Grace makes the difference.  God gives grace when it is needed.  We are both grateful for that.
Packing is always a pain...and unpacking as well, but I keep in mind that it - is - Galveston....where no one cares what you wear and flip flops and smiles cover the head and feet.  Other than that, pretty much anything goes. Scary, but stress free.
Shannon and the kids are joining us there. I am writing this before I leave the house and will continue it as the journey allows.  Got my fan, got my phone, got my camera and computer, got my toiletries, yep, I am ready...and a little cash just in case.  Oh, yes, and my glasses.  Leaving behind all sense of responsibility and reason.  After all, it's Galveston!
We stopped for lunch at Cracker Barrell on the way down.  Don't you just love Cracker Barrell?  So much to see and and browse through - like a blast from the past. They have all the old toys like Raggedy Ann and Andy, and Lincoln Logs...and then the old fashioned candies and sodas are so tempting.  Bought some butter mints and caramel corn for four little grandchildren to enjoy.
When we arrived at our destination and were attempting to check in, they informed me that we had one too many people. (There were seven of us.)  Let's see, which one of the kids can we do without...or which adult?  These are hard questions.  I persisted.  "No one told me that when I made the reservations," I said politely.
"You can only have six to a room.  How old are the kids?" the manager asked.
I told him and explained that one will be in a pack 'n play.
"What are their names?"
"Really?" I thought.  He made me write them down.
"Is it because of the fire code?"
"Yes," he answered.
I told him that I did not want him to get in trouble and I understood, but if we couldn't stay together, we would have to go home.  The hotel was packed with no openings and 3000 students were coming in from Brownsville and Corpus for a convention.
Bleak as it was sounding to me, I almost went home by myself and left them here.
However, he waved us on and I am keeping the name of the place to myself...and praying there isn't a fire.  Don't tell my friend George, the Fire Marshall.
I wanted to pay the bill in cash...til they told me I would have a pay a deposit.  If I used my card, they would not make me pay the deposit.  I know, I know.  It's a matter of them not getting stuck with a destroyed room and no money to pay for it.  But really, us?  Let's see....nevermind. 
The next day was cold and rainy.  Emma was pressing for a visit to the beach.  The sun should be out by noon and the temperature a whopping 70 degrees.  So we made the decision to eat lunch at Shrimp and Stuff at 39 and "O" St.  The Coles told us about this restaurant a few years ago and we have loved it ever since.  I have been coming to Galveston all my life and never heard of it.  It's wonderful.

 We finally made it to the beach around 3:00.  Bright and sunny but the water was deathly cold.  Shannon made it very clear that no one was to get wet.  Very clear. They must have misunderstood her and thought she said, "Run!  Go get in the water as fast as you can!" because that is just what they did.  They were colorful little icicles, fully dressed and having fun.

 

We had forgotten our 'bird food' (crackers and chips) when we went to the beach and so Bella strategically placed morsels on the patio railing.  I am pretty sure this was not allowed, but the starving gulls made a beeline for them and the crackers disappeared quickly. We are just breaking all the rules here.





 






Bella painted my mom's toenails.


My days have been very busy as of late and I am thankful for this little diversion.  My mom had a wonderful time and keeps all these memories with her.  We had funny passwords to say as we would knock on the door to get in the room, even though we had a key.  Their bunkbeds served as hideouts and secret places to play in and not be seen.  Just wanted to share our time with you.



No comments:

Post a Comment