This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Me and Painting My Fireplace

If you know me, you know that I paint...a lot.  We have lived in our current house for 30 years this year.  I have painted each room at least 5 times and some rooms (like my kitchen and living room) have been abused more than that.  There is nothing I am worse at than picking out paint.  How can anyone pick out paint from a little sample square??  Really, how?
I have given up being assured that what I buy at the store will actually end up on the wall as is.  No way.  I get out my witch's brew of paints and begin the whole 'double bubble, toil and trouble' method of mixing.  It is embarrassing to behold. Actually, I have gotten pretty good at it, but then by now I should be an expert.
Recently I decided that my fireplace needed a redo.  "No, no, my ugly bricks, there is no escaping the inevitable."  Once I get an idea in my head, there is no turning back.  Realistically, I knew that this would be a once and for all paint job.
Did I mention that I am impulsive in this area?  Well, I am. Very. So, without further adieu, I jumped up from the couch, took inventory of my paint supply, chose one...then two...then three...then mixed...then sat down a very unhappy girl. Hmmm...deja vu.  I wasn't sorry I had painted - but I was once again proved to be the worst paint picker outer in the world.  This was not going to work.  Big sigh with sad face.  Finally, I turned to the internet.  Isn't that where we end up when we should have started there in the first place?  (Maybe that just applies to me.)  I googled 'painted fireplaces' and voila!  So much to look at, so many choices.  Most of them were either black or white.  My house is on the rustic, grandma, country, old-fashioned side so I chose flat black...and crossed my fingers.
Below are the pictures in order of  mistakes...ending with beauty. I had to go back into my vast supply of pictures in order to find a "before" picture.
A Fall picture...notice the black above the fireplace.
What was I thinking?  See all the cups of paint?  and the plate?
Green on bottom somehow made it worse...as if that was possible.
Finally...ta-daaaaa!


I feel certain that there is a moral to this story...but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it is.  Suffice it to say, use what you have if you can, and if that doesn't work, call your daughter-in-law and ask her what color to paint...which is exactly what I did. Thanks, Shannon!

No comments:

Post a Comment