This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Small Addictions

Are there such things as "small addictions" or do we just want to call them "small" because we don't want to admit to having any addiction at all...?  Yes, definitely, "small" sounds better.  Yes, yes.....(ridiculous). An addiction is an addiction.
addict: n. person who is a slave or devotee to a habit.  v. give oneself over as to a habit.
addicted: slavishly following (a habit, practice); strongly inclined.
None of that sounds good or right...hmmm.  Sometimes I think I know myself pretty well and sometimes I am a stranger, even to me.  Make sense?  I am not sure there really is such a thing, but having heard the term "addictive personality", I am thinking it describes me...and I don't like it.  (Maybe this is where I make this a journal entry on paper and not on a blog on the internet...but I will continue to type.  I have not decided to push that "publish" button, yet.)
It is easy to get hooked on things...things we eat, shows we watch, places we go, people we see, activities we partake in.  Do they matter?  I can only answer for myself.  Yes, they do.  There have been many "loves" in my life through the years.  A favorite show - and I am talking about the good, clean ones - a much loved soft drink, a sweet treat, books, even this blog...can all become little idols of addiction.  Though I would clearly love for my blog to be of help to someone, I can't say that my other habits would help anyone at all and least of all me.
So I challenge both of us to check ourselves and see if there is a "love" that we need to be rid of,  free from.
Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, 
In the light of His glory and grace.
Okay, I am hitting that "publish" button now.

No comments:

Post a Comment