This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Do You Enjoy All You Do?

I posed this question to the ladies tonight in prayer meeting. Sometimes I will throw a question out for their thought and response...as we all continue to get to know each other.  Some of our members drive many miles and we often do not get to socialize outside of church.  It is nice to share personal ideas once in a while.  This question occurred to me this afternoon so I wrote it down.
"What do you enjoy doing?  What makes you happy?"  Some of the answers were "chocolate, learning about parenting, projects, listening to sermons, coffee, exercise, being with family, socializing, reading, writing," and more.  There is nothing wrong with any of these 'little happies'.
Then I asked, "Do you enjoy all that you do?"
Without exception the answer was "no".
I was prepared to tell them before class that it was not a trick question with a spiritual, guilt-ridden answer, BUT in the previous hour of bible study some verses jumped out at me that went along with my question.

Paul is speaking about all he has gone through.  He is in the middle of his third missionary journey and has been a Christian for about twenty-four years.
2 Corinthians 11:24-30  Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one.  Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea;  on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers;  in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure.  And, apart from other things, there is the daily pressure on me of my anxiety for all the churches.  Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is made to fall, and I am not indignant?  If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. 
The gospel is offensive to many people...obviously.  Centuries have passed, but not much has changed in that regard.  I have been a Christian for about fifty years.  I have suffered nothing worth mentioning.  These torturous things did not stop Paul. He continued on because he loved it.  He loved people, but more than that, he loved the Lord.  We do not always enjoy everything we do, but we do it as it needs doing. Lord, help us to find joy in our daily tasks...and to look outside our little 'worlds' to those in need of Your love and salvation. May we, like Paul, be committed.
Thank You for the all of the joys that come our way, and help us to see the joy in the harder tasks.  Remind us that they are designed by You.

No comments:

Post a Comment