This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Monday, February 4, 2013

Fires, Hurricanes, Floods, and Me and My Desk


Some of the things from my desk.

Our house has not burned to the ground, but my dryer caught fire one day...no, not from the lint - the motor burned up. Our house has been flooded more than once, but the only thing we lost was carpet.  Hurricane Alecia in 1983 took its toll on us with the most damage.  And then there is me...and my desk.
I cannot remember how I attained this desk. I did not buy it.  It was most likely a curbside find - you know, those treasures that you happen upon by happy coincidence.  (I have lots of those)  It is not an unusual occurrence for me when driving, to slam on my brakes, back up, and load up some item of rare value, saving it from the awful fate to which it was destined.  I love "dumpster diving" as some call it.  After all, "one man's trash..."
ANYWAY, this desk had been at my house, my daughter in law's house, her mother's house, then back to my daughter in law's house and back to me.  Sounds exhausting.  I painted it white, blue, black and white, white and green, white and tan, white and blue, and white and green again...at least that's what it was last time I looked. It had been in a bedroom, the kitchen, the dining room, the living room...and finally I came to the conclusion that it had no "home" in my home.
Tommy and I were on our way out the door after I had spent a day painting that desk three times. In an impulsive moment, I told him to take it to the curb and be done with it. Joy and peace.
That night as I was getting ready for bed, a lightning bolt hit me hard.  I screamed for Tommy to go out and see if the desk was still there....because I forgot to empty it.  Yes, it is true. It was full of...actually I could not remember what it was full of, but my heart was so heavy!  Tommy reported that the desk was gone.  Another person like me had scooped it up.  I grieved.  I thought about families that go through real losses...fires, hurricanes, floods and lose everything they own.  I had only lost a desk full of treasures. Still, I was sick. I prayed that maybe a neighbor took it and would see the lovely (?) things inside and return them or maybe a man in a pick-up full of junk would remember where he had gotten it and bring me its contents...but the truth was I had to just forget about it...as if it had been burned.  This was on a Friday.
Saturday came with no one knocking and no one leaving a bag of my goodies on my doorstep.  On Sunday afternoon we had asked a couple to come and eat lunch after church.  We sat at the table in our kitchen and our neighbor across the street showed up on our porch, holding a sack.  I had seen them working in their yard and thought it might be flower bulbs.  (Our neighbors are always exchanging good things with us.)  Suddenly it dawned on me.  I jumped up and ran out to thank George, who thought I might like to have some things back.  He and his wife laughed at me as I held the sack close to my heart.  I thanked the Lord, too.
My forgetfulness is getting the best of me as I age.  All of this served to remind me that my treasure is in Heaven and not here.  I am glad my neighbors wanted the desk and so very glad to have my things back, though I had already begun to 'let them go'.  I wish I could say I will never do that again, but that would be unrealistic. Some never get back what they lose.  I strive daily to 'unlove' my earthly possessions.
Still learning the hard way, June

No comments:

Post a Comment