This is just a blog about my thoughts, my family, my everyday life. Because I am a Christian and have ups and downs like everyone else, I hope it will encourage others to either turn to Christ for the first time, or lean on Him when times are rough. Often life is just random and funny. I started this blog after many years of writing to my church about our vacations. They began to encourage me to blog and finally I am. Thanks for reading.

"Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!" Nahum 1:15

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

The Planetarium and Percy

"The heavens declare the glory of God"...Psalm 19:1
I can recall going to the planetarium with huge groups of children on school buses. The room was filled with a dull, but high pitched roar as the boys and girls eagerly waited for the dome over us to burst with stars.  Planetariums must not hold much attraction these days, as only a fraction of the seats were filled on the day we went.  Our spokesman was excellent though, and after I snapped a couple of non-flash pictures, we all had to shut off our phones.
I don't know about you, but I don't get constellations.  Of course I have not studied them at all, so maybe that's part of the problem.  The dippers look like dippers.  Easy.  But all the mythical pictures do not in any way look like what they are supposed to portray.  Honestly.  But again, ignorance is my excuse.
We were told that in tens of billions of years, all of this would explode and blah, blah, blah. (Sorry.) When people speak of mind-numbing calculations without considering God and His providential rule, I tend to disengage.  Emma, on the other hand, took it all to heart and is worried about something that would happen billions of years from now, if at all.  This is Emma.
Me:  Emma, do not believe everything that science says about beginnings and endings of the world. Did God make Adam a baby?
Emma:  No, He made him a man.
Me:  Right.  He made man with age, and so He made the world to be as old as He needed it to be - filled wtih full grown plants, grown animals, and all else according to His holy will.
Emma:  (Light bulb moment) That's right!
Though I do not have all the answers by any means, I rest in the fact that God does.  He goes before me and will come after me, ordaining what comes to pass in my world.  Good enough for me.
After star gazing, we headed to the park for a picnic...and Percy showed up.

The tables were taken so we threw our blanket on the ground and set our food out.  It wasn't long until we discovered we were not alone.  Percy - as Emma named him - scurried over to us without the slightest hesitation.  Hmm.  This guy has been around picnics before...and his belly gave evidence. Bella tossed him the crust from her sandwich and he gratefully took it, walked over to a tree root and sat down as if in his easy chair.

I don't know why this made me laugh.  I think we were on his turf and he was right at home with us.

Bella  
Ivy at the park.
Ivy on her turf.

It was a great day of stars and squirrel. Percy wasn't worried about the world's end and neither are we.  I know the One who decides what happens concerning all that.  I need to worry whether I am doing today all I can do for His glory.
I wish you all squirrels with every picnic in life!


No comments:

Post a Comment